How To- short version

The basic lesson behind the maddness is this: Buy what is on sale and use coupons for those items. Stock up when there are GREAT deals. You'll spend the same with double the groceries.

Saturday, June 6, 2009

Taming the Beasts

I have to do my shopping with up to 3 kids under the age of 6 sometimes. How do I accomplish such a task you ask. I'm not to proud to admit, BRIBERY. Works almost everytime. Also, play them off of each other. Here's what I do, and this will take a few trips, some tears, and even some on the floor screaming before it's perfected.

Let the kids know BEFORE you start shopping that they may have a treat at the checkout stand IF they are good in the store. They can only get it at the end. We're a baseball family so they get 3 strikes then they're out. If they've kept up their bargain they get to pick out a treat, if not they don't. And it's an individual thing.

So, a child starts to take off down the aisle. I say, get back here, and I count down from 5. If by 1, they're not standing next to me. Strike 1. And so on and so forth.

Here's the important part. If they get to strike 3 NO TREAT. You simply say, I would have loved to buy you that candy/gum/sucker but you chose to be naughty so now I can't. Maybe next time you'll behave.

For the older children you can let them pick it out first and when they misbahve, PUT it BACK.

The most important part. Don't threaten, follow through. It maybe rough the first couple of times, but they will get it. Trust me.

Also, let them help pick things off the shelf. Alot of sales you have to buy so many items. Let them help count them. I like to keep my cart organized by 10 for 10's and what's free, etc. Let them be apart of that. My little guy loves to hold the list. He pretends he's reading it off to me.

Good luck mom's. Let me know how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment